It is hard to match the kind of convenience and benefits an electric bike can offer. Hence, you are not alone if you are dying to get your hands on one. We are, too.
However, the high purchase price of a modern electric bike makes its affordability almost impossible for some people. Luckily, this does not mean you cannot create your own electric bike.
Using a conversion kit to convert a regular bike into an electric bike is a great way to enjoy all the fun of an electric bike without having to spend a fortune.
Can You Convert a Regular Bike to an Electric Bike?
People who have never seen an electric bike in their lives usually cannot tell the difference between a regular bike an e-bike.
This is because all electric bikes have been built and designed on the same blueprint as a regular bike.
However, the benefits and degree of convenience an electric bike is designed to offer can never be matched by a regular bike.
Can a regular bike be converted into a modern electric bike? Yes, as long as you have the right kind of electric bike conversion kit.
The conversion kit you choose needs to be a perfect fit for the bike you will be converting.
If the conversion kit is not designed for your specific bike type, the electric bike you will create will be unreliable, inefficient, and highly unsafe.
Moreover, although installing a conversion kit to convert a regular bike into an electric bike is not too difficult, it does require some technical know-how.
As a result, most people who have absolutely no knowledge of how to choose or install a conversion kit usually visit an electric bike workshop to have their bikes converted.
Another tip to installing the conversion kit yourself is to watch online tutorials and read the instructions manual that comes with the conversion kit.
What Does an Electric Bike Conversion Kit Contain?
An electric bike conversion kit contains all the necessary electric components that you will need to convert a traditional bike into a fully functional electric one.
Although some pricier conversion kits may come with additional accessories, the majority of the kits one can find in bike stores or online come with similar kinds of components.
These electric components include the following:
- An electric battery stores electric charge in the form of chemical energy. The more expensive an electric bike conversion kit is, the great the capacity and range it will have.
- An electric motor that will be responsible for converting the battery’s stored chemical energy into kinetic energy.
- Motion sensor to detect a rider’s pedaling motion.
- LCD display screen.
- Electric bike gear system. The multiple gears will allow the rider to choose and change their electric bike’s pedal assistance.
- Brake levers.
- Torque arm.
- Connective wirings.
- Battery charging cord.
Continue reading to learn how you can select the right conversion kit to convert your bike into an electric bike.
This article will also cover the benefits of converting a regular bike into an electric bike.
Also, read Can You Put an Electric Bike on a Bike Rack?
Let’s get right into it!
How to Select the Right Conversion Kit for Your Bike
You might not have to worry about installing the conversion kit on your bike yourself. However, you need to be extra attentive when selecting the correct conversion kit for your bike.
Although most people simply order a conversion kit from an online store, what they do not realize is that not all bikes can be converted using the same kinds of conversion kits.
A poor and improper selection may not seem like a major problem at first; however, it will eventually affect the electric bike’s ride, and will put the rider (and the lives of other people on the road) in danger.
Hence, it is incredibly important that you spend sufficient time before finalizing which conversion kit you need to buy.
The following are some tips to help you identify and select the conversion kit that will be perfect for your bike:
Consult with an Electric Bike Expert Before Finalizing Your Purchase
Once you go out to buy an electric bike conversion kit, you will be shocked to see the wide variety of conversion kits you can choose from.
Some kits may seem highly affordable; however, their quality may not be up to par. Moreover, some sellers may sell you a conversion kit without even first analyzing your bike’s type and its condition.
Hence, it is incredibly important that you reach out to an electric bike expert or a mechanic that you trust, and seek their professional advice and opinion before finalizing your purchase
Converting a traditional bike into an electric bike will not be a new concept for an electric bike expert or mechanic. Their years of experience and expertise will help ensure that you have to invest in a conversion kit only once.
An electric bike expert can help you in two ways. First, they can properly examine your bike type and condition. They can also help you select the conversion kit best suited for your bike.
Why Should an Electric Bike Expert Examine Your Traditional Bike?
As discussed above, an electric bike may look like the traditional bike we have grown up riding; however, in reality, both have completely different potentials.
An electric bike is designed to perform under the influence of electric power. Hence, the overall build and structure of an electric bike is designed to be strong, sturdy, and durable.
Every time a rider shifts the gears of an electric bike, the amount of electrical power assisting the rider’s pedaling is increased. This transition of power can disbalance a bike or damage its different components if it was not designed to withstand such high power.
Moreover, an electric bike comes with thicker and wider tires than a traditional bike. Since an electric bike is significantly heavier than a traditional bike, the tires’ thickness and quality are critical for smooth mobility and long-term durability.
Hence, not all traditional bikes should be converted into electric bike.
If the bike you have has a low-quality fiberglass or aluminum body, thin tires, and an overall weak build, converting it into an electric bike may become extremely dangerous.
When such a bike will be ridden under the influence of electric power, any power transition may cause its frame to sustain immense damage and eventually break.
Moreover, since the use of the conversion kit with increases your bike’s speed, the drastic increase of speed may cause the low-quality bike tires to burst or move off their axel.
Hence, all such poor and dangerous judgments can be avoided if you allow an electric bike expert to examine your bike before proceeding with the conversion.
The expert or mechanic will be able to tell whether your bike is capable of performing under the influence of electric power, or whether you need to invest in bike repairs or a new bike altogether.
The second benefit that can come from consulting professional help is the assistance you will get while selecting the correct conversion kit.
Electric bike experts and mechanics are well-knowledgeable regarding which conversion kits are reliable purchases and which are nothing but scams.
This assistance will prevent you from getting fooled into wasting your money, and will hence protect your investment.
Measure Your Electric Bikes Size and Dimensions
Ideally, you should go to an electric bike expert for their professional opinion regarding which e-bike conversion kit you need to buy.
However, if you do not have any access to this kind of professional help, you need not worry. Simply measure the size and dimensions of your bike to help you choose the correct conversion kit.
Every bike, whether it is a regular bike or an electric one, has its own unique size, type, and shape. Hence not all conversion kits will fit all kinds of bikes.
To ensure you choose the right electric bike conversion kit, you need to:
- Weigh your electric bike to decide which battery size will be suitable for the bike.
- If your bike is too heavy and bulky, a small 250-Watt battery will not be enough to pull its weight. This will affect the bike’s top speed.
- Similarly, if the bike is too light, a high-power 1000-Watt battery will make the ride incredibly dangerous and difficult to control.
- If the frame of your bike is too narrow and slim, investing in a pricey conversion kit that comes with a large sized motor and battery pack will do you no good, as neither of the components will be able to fit onto your bike.
- If your battery pack or motor are too big and heavy for your bike’s frame, they will disrupt your bike’s center of gravity.
- As a result, maintaining balance, especially when going at high speeds, will become extremely challenging.
- The unique design of your bike will also have an effect on which conversion kit you need to buy. For instance, if the crossbar of your bike is too close to the pedals, you may need a battery that can fit into the narrow available space.
- Choosing a battery that does not fit into the available space will damage your investment.
Do Your Research
Lastly, scout the market properly and check out all your options before finalizing your purchase of the conversion kit.
Although a conversion kit is significantly cheaper than an electric bike, it still costs a pretty penny. As a matter of fact, a good conversion kit can cost you up to 500 USD to 700 USD.
Hence, spend some time doing your research and then use the information you get to make a wise purchase decision.
Why You Should Convert Your Bike into an Electric Bike Using a Conversion Kit
If you are tired of riding your bike and don’t really have the money to upgrade to an electric bike, an electric bike conversion kit is the ideal purchase for you.
Some key reasons for converting your bike into an electric bike using a conversion kit are as follows:
- An electric bike can, at times, cost more than a standard-sized sedan. Hence, not everyone is going to be able to afford it.
- On the contrary, a conversion kit allows you to convert your bike into an electric bike for far less money. Hence, you can fulfil your dream of owning an e-bike.
- The converted electric bike will be able to go much faster than your traditional bike, without requiring the same level of physical effort.
- The converted electric bike will let you cover longer distances in less time without tiring you out.
- A well-converted electric bike can replace the need for using a personal gasoline-powered car or public transport for inner-city commutes.
- As a result, you get the chance to reduce your carbon footprint and impact the environment in a positive way.
- If you struggle with pedaling a traditional bike for too long due to your physical condition, a converted electric bike will make commuting much easier.
Final Thoughts on Converting Your Bike into an Electric Bike
Cannot afford a brand new or second-hand electric bike? No worries, simply invest in a conversion kit and convert your traditional bike into a futuristic electric bike.
A basic conversion kit costs significantly less than an electric bike and comes with all the required electrical components to completely transform your bike into a modern-day e-bike.
All you need to do is get your bike examined by an electric bike expert to ensure your bike can handle being converted into a high-speed electric bike.
Then, proceed with conducting your research and measuring the dimensions of your bike to find the best fitting conversion kit for your unique bike type.
Once you get the right kit, you can either fit it yourself or take it to the experts to do it for you. We recommend going the expert route as they have the knowledge and experience to do things the right way.
You may like the following electric bike articles:
- How Much Does an Electric Bike Battery Cost?
- How Long Does an Electric Bike Battery Last?
- Can you take an Electric Bike on Eurostar?
- How Far Can You Go On an Electric Bike?
- How To Use Gears On An Electric Bike
My name is Matthew, staying in Seattle, Washington. Electric bikes caught my attention for the last few years and my love for electric bikes is everlasting. I spend many of my weekends traveling to various places all over various cities with my e-bike. Here I am sharing my expertise, experience, and invaluable information about electric bikes. Check out more.